WHAT ARE PLUGINS?
A plug-in or plugin is a software component made to enable third-party developers to create abilities which extend the functionality of an application. It adds a specific feature to an existing computer program. When a program supports plug-ins, it enables customization. The common examples are the plug-ins used in web browsers to add new features such as search-engines, virus scanners, etc.
WordPress Plugins are used to add functionality to a website. The core of WordPress is designed to be lean and lightweight, to maximize flexibility and minimize code bloat. Plugins then offer custom functions and features so that each user can tailor their site to their specific needs.
Here is a list of my most used plugins…..Enjoy!
1. Google Analytics: This premium plugin contains custom dimension tracking which allows you to track;
Pageviews per author or even pay authors based on the number of pageviews their articles received;
Pageviews per category will also allows you to easily see which categories are doing best on your blog and you might want to publish more in;
Pageviews per post type tracks whether the page viewed is a post, page or any custom post type and more.
It can also allow you to track extra parameters with each pageview.
2. Google XML Sitemaps: This plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines to better index your website or blog. With such a sitemap, it’s much easier for the crawlers to see the complete structure of your site and retrieve it more efficiently. It will not break your site, slow it down or annoy you.
3. Tools to grow your Email list, Social Sharing and Analytics: Most websites and blogs are designed for hit-and-run readers like me. People find your blog, read your article, and leave. Wouldn’t it be nice if some of those people subscribe or share your amazing post on other platforms? There are plugins available to help you do just that.
4. Word press SEO: SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. They are intended to help your site rank higher and more accurately in search engines, like Google. WordPress SEO by Yoast is one of the most downloaded WordPress plugin of all times. Yoast’s WordPress SEO is a comprehensive solution for all your on-site SEO needs. It allows you to add SEO title, meta description, and meta keywords to each post and page of your site.
5. Contact form 7: Any business, blog, website or service is incomplete without a contact page. A contact page is basically, where your readers can use to contact you directly from your website or blog by sending you a direct message from the form provided in your contact page. Contact form 7 will help you take care of that.
6. WP Socializer: WP Socializer is an advanced plugin for inserting all kinds of Social bookmarking & sharing buttons. It has super cool features to insert the buttons into posts, sidebar. It also has Floating sharebar.
7. SEO Friendly Images: SEO Friendly Images is a WordPress SEO plugin which automatically updates all images with proper ALT and TITLE attributes for SEO purposes. If your images do not have ALT and TITLE already set, SEO Friendly Images will add them according the options you set. Additionally this makes the post W3C/xHTML valid as well.
ALT attribute is important part of search engine optimization. It describes your images to search engine and when a user searches for a certain image this is a key determining factor for a match.
TITLE attribute play lesser role but is important for visitors as this text will automatically appear in the tooltip when mouse is over the image.
8. Page Builder by Site Origin: Page Builder by SiteOrigin makes it easy to build responsive grid-based page content that adapts to mobile devices with pixel perfect accuracy. It’s a whole new dimension to content creation that’ll help you create your home, contact, about us or any other page where a linear layout won’t convey your message. It’s a powerful enhancement to the WordPress content editing experience, yet it feels entirely familiar.
9. Easy Google fonts: A simple and easy way to add custom google fonts to any WordPress theme without coding. This plugin integrates with the WordPress Customizer so you can preview google fonts on your site in realtime. It’s compatible with any theme.
It also allows you to create custom theme specific font controls in the admin settings area to control particular css selectors. Once created, these custom font controls are instantly available in the customizer no coding required!
10. Spacer: This plugin adds a spacer button to the WYSIWYG visual editor which allows you to add precise custom spacing between lines in your posts and pages. Note that you can also enter negative spacing to shift the following content upwards.
11. Light box by Colour box: It is a simple lightbox tool for WordPress. It allows users to pop up content in lightbox using the popular jQuery ColorBox library. They can also view the larger version of a particular media file without leaving the page. You can easily view your pop up youtube videos or vimeo videos with ease by a simple click.
12. Title Remover: This plugin allows the author of a post or page to hide the title and it’s containing HTML element from the single view ( is_singular() ).
13. Black Studio Tiny MCE Widget: This plugin adds a new visual Editor
widget type that allows you to insert rich text and media objects in your sidebars with no hassle. The default WordPress text widget lacks of functionalities and it requires HTML knowledge, this plugin was born to overcome these limitations. With Black Studio TinyMCE Widget you will be able to edit your widgets in a WYSIWYG manner using the native WordPress TinyMCE editor, just like you do in posts and pages. And if you are a developer you may still switch back and forth from Visual to HTML mod.